In 2019, following an extensive research and testing period, we have introduced the first QS50K pistons into the market. It was the beginning of a lasting success story: Ever since, we have produced and delivered more than 1’000 pieces, to many different customers.
These pistons are now installed all around the world, in ocean going vessels and in power plants. They are performing extremely well and achieve time between overhauls (TBO) that hitherto were unthinkable. The earliest QS50K pistons have accumulated well over 30’000 running hours and are still in service!
Benefits of the QS50K technology
With the introduction of the QS50K coating technology, QuantiServ has redefined the piston reconditioning process. This proprietary technology was developed by QuantiServ and offers the following important advantages:
- Extremely durable, wear resistant coating, resulting in very long life-time / time between overhauls (TBO)
- Fully automated process carried out by a robot, resulting in a top-quality product due to the robot’s very high accuracy, repeatability and consistency.
- Faster than chromium plating, therefore shorter turnaround times
- Less heat input into the piston, eliminating any residual stresses that over time could develop into cracks
- Environmentally sound, non-toxic process
We offer the QS50K technology for any engine brand and for any cylinder bore above ø 48 cm. The QS50K pistons that we have delivered so far covered the bore range, from ø 48 cm to ø 98 cm. They were destined for engines manufactured by the big three OEMs, in an approximately 45%/45%/10% ratio.
At this moment, our recon centres in Kruiningen (The Netherlands) and Suzhou (China) are equipped with the required machinery to offer this product. Our large recon centre in Singapore will follow very soon.
To give maximum flexibility to our customers, we offer three different ways of working to chose from:
- Reconditioning on exchange. The customer gets a newly reconditioned component delivered from one of our four reconditioning centres. Once he has installed the component into his engine, he returns his old part to us.
- Reconditioning of the customer’s own part. The customer sends the component to be reconditioned to a QuantiServ reconditioning centre, where it undergoes professional reconditioning after which it is returned to the customer.
- Straight sale. The customer purchases a reconditioned piston from us, without returning an old one.
We can apply the QS50K coating to pistons that are undergoing full or partial reconditioning.
The entire top surface and ring groove area is first machined off and then rebuilt by robotic MIG or SAW welding. Thereafter, the piston undergoes final machining before the QS50K coating is applied to the ring grooves. The last step is grinding of the ring grooves, which completes the full reconditioning process.
If it is requested by the customer, then we can coat the top of the piston by a protective layer of Inconel. This can be a good solution for engines that suffer from excessive hot corrosion at the piston top.
If only the ring grooves are worn and if a piston is in otherwise good condition, then partial reconditioning is possible. A precondition is, however, that none of the ring grooves has worn so much that not only the chromium layer but the steel substrate itself has worn. In this case, partial reconditioning is not possible and full reconditioning is the only remedy.
During partial reconditioning, any remaining chromium is removed before the QS50K layer is applied to the ring grooves. All mating surfaces will be skimmed, to remove any signs of fretting corrosion and if there are small internal cracks, then these will be repaired too.
Our reconditioning centres
We operate four reconditioning centres that are strategically located along major shipping routes: Singapore, Kruiningen (The Netherlands), Suzhou (China), Dubai. Each of the four centres carries a large inventory, so it can offer components on exchange in addition to reconditioning the customer’s own part. Both ways of working are available, it is entirely the customer’s choice.
Our reconditioning centres are the most modern ones within our industry. Welding and QS50K coating is typically performed by robots and machining is done on numerically controlled (NC) machines.
This enables us to provide consistently high quality and short turn-around times at attractive prices.