The condition of a piston skirt has a big influence of the life time of the corresponding cylinder liner. If a piston skirt shows signs of scuffing, of seizure marks or of excessive scratches or if its bandages (rubbing bands) are worn, then it should be replaced or reconditioned at the first opportunity so as not to jeopardize the cylinder liner.
If we recondition a piston skirt, then we carry out the following works:
- Thorough inspection and measurement
- NDT crack testing
- Removing the old bandages
- Rolling-in of new bandages and milling of the expansion slots
- Skimming of the mating surfaces to remove fretting corrosion, if any is present
- Final machining of the bandages on a vertical lathe machine